In this studio course for beginner and intermediate painters, students learn oil painting skills and techniques in the context of a safe (solvent-free) studio practice. Topics include surface preparation, various styles of applying and moving paint on a surface, colour theory, and composition. Studio work will be supported by demonstrations, slide presentations, and critique.
- Apply fundamental oil painting techniques,
- Explore tonal value and its relationship to colour theory,
- Enhance colour mixing skills and gain confidence with producing unique colours from a simple palette,
- Gain an ability to paint with a variety of brush techniques to create a variety of surfaces,
- Create an under-painting technique and the colour theory which informs it,
- Become more confident in reproducing objects from life.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Art and Design Studio Skills Certificate : Qualifying Courses