For cancellation, withdrawal, course transfer policies, and COVID-19 protocols for on-site courses please see our registration policies.
For questions, please contact

Video: Welcome to OCAD U School of Continuing Studies



How do I register?
Adults 18 years of age and older are welcome to register in courses regardless of prior academic background or country of origin. You do not need to be an OCAD U student or alumnus. 
To register for courses online:

  • Select your course and click the "Add to Cart" button for the section time and date you wish to register for.
  • Click the "Checkout" button. You will be prompted to log in or create a new account.
  • Please tell us how you heard about the course and check off that you have read and understand our Registration Policies, which includes our refund policy.
  • Registration is not complete until payment is received in full.
  • Payment can be made by Visa, Mastercard, or Interac Debit. Please ensure that all fields are filled in accurately and that the billing address matches the address from your credit card or debit card.
  • Submit payment. When payment goes through you will receive a course confirmation and receipt by email. 

Video: How to Register

When registering, do I need to create an account? How do I log into my account?
Yes. You need to create an account the first time you register for a course. Your username will be emailed to you within 30-35 minutes.

To log in, enter your username followed by For example, if your username is X111111 you will use Note that this is not an email account. Usernames are case sensitive. 

You must reset your password before you log into the School of Continuing Studies portal. To reset your password, follow the link:

With your username and password, you can log in at, access Canvas, TopDesk and campus wifi during your course.

Video: How to Change your Password

Is it possible to reserve a space, or to register for a course and pay later?
No. Registration is not complete until you pay for your course. Once your course is selected, you will have 20 minutes to submit payment before the space is released to the next student.

How do I know if there is room in a particular course?
If the "Add to Cart" button is shown there is room in a course. Register early to avoid disappointment.

When is the deadline for registration? Can I register with the instructor the first day of class?
Online registration for courses close before the class begins. It is not possible to register with the instructor on the first day. Classes may be cancelled due to low enrollment. Students are advised to register early to avoid disappointment.

How many students do you need to run a course?
We require 5-8 students to run a course.

What is the attendance required?
For courses on campus, students must maintain a minimum of 80% attendance per course.

Can I attend the first class to see if I like it before I register?
No. You must register and pay for the course in full before you can attend any classes. Auditing is not allowed for Continuing Studies courses.

The course I want is full. How do waiting lists work?
If a course fills prior to the first class, students can join a wait list, and will be automatically contacted if space becomes available. Each student has 48 hours to pay for the course before the space is offered to the next person on the list. If you are on the wait list for a course, please do not attend class.

How do Advance Notification Lists work?
If a student wants to be notified when a course will next be offered, he or she may register for the course's Notification List. Students on the Notification List will receive an email when anew section opens for ernollment.

How do Gift Certificates work?
Gift Certificates can be purchased for a course or in any denomination. Gift Certificates can be purchased or redeemed by e-mailing The certificate can be e-mailed to the recipient. Gift Certificates may not be exchanged for cash or redeemed for credit courses, conferences, or other programming.


Video: Getting Ready for your Course

How many students are in each course?
The number of spots per course is determined based on the course content, and the capacities of our studios and labs. Generally, our Digital Media courses can take up to 25 students, and our Art and Design courses can take up to 18 students.

Where can I find a course outline?
We do not distribute course outlines. Please review the course description, if you have specific questions about a course, please contact our office.

The course I'm interested in has more than one section. Do I have to register for all of them?
No. If a course has two sections, it means that the same course is offered in two different time slots. Please register for the dates and times that work best for your schedule.

Do I have to be an OCAD U student or alumnus to register for courses in Continuing Studies?
You do not have to be an OCAD U student or alumnus to register for courses in Continuing Studies. Some classes have prerequisites, please see the detailed course description for more information. Please note that, with the exception of the Youth courses, our courses are designed for adult learners, 18 and older.

Can I apply the non-credit courses I take in Continuing Studies for credit towards a degree program at OCAD U?
No, these courses do not carry OCAD U credit.

Will I gain admission to OCAD U degree programs if I take courses in Continuing Studies?
No, acceptance into OCAD U degree programs cannot be attained by completing courses in Continuing Studies. You must apply for admission to degree programs through the Office of Admissions.

Will the courses I take in Continuing Studies affect my GPA at OCAD U?
Non-degree, non-credit courses taken in Continuing Studies will not affect your GPA for any degree studies at OCAD U.

Will a course or certificate in Continuing Studies help me get a visa?
Non-credit Continuing Studies classes do not entitle you to qualify for a visa. For more information refer to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

What do I get when I complete a course?
Students who require documentation may request a Certificate of Course Completion. To qualify, students must get a passing grade. Students can downaload a PDF of the certiticate from the School of Continuing Studies portal.

Are Continuing Studies courses eligible for OSAP (Ontario Student Assistance Program)?
Continuing Studies Courses and Certificates are NOT approved for OSAP funding by the Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities. However the below Micro-credentials offered through Continuing Studies are approved for targeted OSAP assistance: “OSAP for Micro-credentials.”

  • Empathy + Social Insight for Human-Centred Design
  • Ideation + Prototyping for Human-Centred Design
  • User Testing + Launch for Human Centred Design
  • Hiring for Decolonization, Diversity, and Inclusion in the Creative Industries
  • Beyond GLAM Land Acknowledgments: Activating Decolonization and Indigenization in Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums
  • Navigating Production with the Film and Television Industry in Ontario
  • Developing Effective Government Relations and Advocacy Strategies for Canadian Arts Organization
  • Professional Practice for Emerging Artists and Designers
  • Becoming a Content Creator: Advanced Social Media Marketing for Creative Entrepreneurs

Please visit the Financial Aid and Awards website for more details about the eligibility criteria and application process.

What are the OSAP deadlines?

  • Application: Applications must be received by the student's school financial aid office no later than the last day of the student's current study period. 
  • Supporting Documentation: All required supporting documentation must be received no later than five (5) days after the end of the student's current study period.

To process a confirmation of enrollment and to release the OSAP funding the student must be registered.

Do I get a tax receipt for a Continuing Studies Course?
Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requires all designated educational institutions in Canada to issue a T2202, Tuition and Enrollment Certificate, for qualifying students enrolled in a specified educational program. For more information, please refer to Canada Revenue Agency guidelines.

Qualifying student:

  • Enrolled in a specified educational program
  • 16 years of age or older
  • 12 hours per month spent on courses in a program

Course eligibility (in a specified educational program):

  • Course(s) are at least three consecutive weeks in length
  • Course hours in a program totals at least 12 hours per month
  • Tuition fees paid equal or exceed $100
  • Student personally paid the tuition fees. (If your employer paid on your behalf, or you were reimbursed, you are not eligible to claim your T2202.)

As of 2020, the CRA requires educational institutions to collect and submit Social Insurance Numbers (SIN) on the T2202. Students are required to update their student profile with their SIN in order to obtain a T2202 form. For assistance, please contact us at

Do First Nations students receive tax exemption for Continuing Studies courses?
Yes. The School of Continuing Studies at OCAD U will honour the Point-of-Sale Exemption for the eight per cent Ontario component of the HST applied to Continuing Studies course fees. To be eligible for this exemption, students must present a valid Certificate of Indian Status identity card at the time of purchase.


Do I need to purchase materials for my course?
Information on course materials is included with each course description.

How do I access the course content online?
As a Continuing Studies student, you receive an OCAD U user account, which grants you access to our online learning management system, Canvas, and our on-campus WiFi network, for the duration of your course. Instructors post the course outline and may post additional course content in Canvas. Your Canvas account is enabled one week prior to the start date of your course. Please log in at Your ID and temporary password are listed in the course confirmation email you received when you registered. Your ID begins with the letter "X" followed by 6 digits. You can reset your password here: If you need further help, please contact us at

I'm taking an online course. Where and when do I log in for my first session?
Online courses are delivered through a series of tutorials and related assignments which students may complete at their own pace on our Learning Management System, Canvas. The instructor is available throughout the course time period for questions and discussions. Students receive an OCAD U user account, which grants you access to our online learning management system, Canvas, and our on-campus WiFi network, for the duration of your course. Instructors post the course outline and content on Canvas. Your Canvas account is enabled one week prior to the start date of your course. 

Video: How Online Courses Work

Will I be issued an OCAD U Student card?
No. Continuing Studies students do not require an OCAD U student ID card.

Are Continuing Studies students eligible to receive student discounts on art supplies or software?
Continuing Studies Students may receive discounts on art supplies at Aboveground Art Supplies (located next door to the main building). Students must present their Confirmation Receipt and another piece of ID. Please note that stock may be limited during peak periods.

Can I take books out of the OCAD U library?
Your Continuing Studies registration does not come with library circulation privileges. You may, however, purchase a Special Membership from the Library Circulation Desk for a fee of $100/year; $50/6 months or $25/3 months. Students must provide the Library Circulation Desk with the Registration Confirmation letter to obtain a Special Membership card.

Can I use the studios and computer labs outside of scheduled class times?
Continuing Studies students are not permitted to use the art and design studios or computer labs outside of scheduled class times.