SketchUp is a powerful 3D software application used for architecture, interior design, game design, and basic 3D modelling. This intermediate workshop explores methods of drafting and modelling a floor plan from an imported sketch image. Students will learn about the various options available with SketchUp, including how to print and share their work through different mediums. Topics covered will include how to create a small two storey residential house, with kitchen cabinets, and stairs, as well as creating entourage elements and animations of walkthroughs.
Students must have access to SketchUp Pro software to participate in the online course. This course is taught using SketchUp Pro for Windows. Most of SketchUp Pro’s functionality is the same across Windows and Mac operating systems, however there are some differences between the interfaces and shortcut commands, and what you see in the tutorials may not match what you are seeing on your own machine. Students using a Mac can install Boot Camp, which is a utility that comes with your Mac, that will allow you to switch between macOS and Windows.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will have gained:
- Applicable knowledge of how to develop a 3D model from a 2D residential floor plan
- Skills to create and design kitchen cabinets and other advanced components
- The ability to customize different materials and textures from external resources to use inside the SketchUp environment
- An understanding of SketchUp sharing tools and available methods for presenting final project
CSDI-N124 - Introduction to SketchUp or equivalent experience.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Design, Technology, and Fabrication Skills Certificate : Qualifying Courses
- Digital Media Skills Certificate : Qualifying Courses