This online studio course covers a range of techniques for bookbinding based on folding and sewing without adhesives. The structures covered through video demonstrations are a contemporary take on historical techniques and participants will produce a series of sample bindings. A final project will apply and adapt one structure for a visual project which may experiment with unconventional materials and structures while utilizing photography, illustration, text or other contents. Considerations of the relationships of form, content and sequence will be discussed. This course requires only basic tools and materials.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will learn:
- Demonstrate familiarity with the making of a variety of hand-sewn book structures through hands-on production,
- Work with basic hand bookbinding tools and materials,
- Articulate basic factors related to sequencing and layout of images and text in the book format,
- Utilize a developmental methodology for project creation based on experimentation and maquette-making,
- Put into practice an understanding of using visual materials in the book format through completion of a final book project.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Art and Design Studio Skills Certificate : Qualifying Courses
- Graphic Design and Visual Communication Skills Certificate : Qualifying Courses