Toon Boom Harmony is a leading 2D animation software application used by independent artists, small studios, and major animation companies. In this hands-on, fast-paced course, students gain the technical and conceptual skills required to create engaging 2D animations. This software has the tools to provide a wide set of styles that range from traditional, cel-painted “cartoons,” to abstract, living dreamscapes. Topics include the fundamentals of animation motion-analysis and their application, understanding the essential tools and workflow of production, and useful tools within this software. Students will have the opportunity to develop a short 2D animation for a portfolio or demo reel, and will learn through presentations, demonstrations, discussions, and critiques.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will learn:
- Character design for rigging or traditional animation,
- Vector based drawing and Bezier curve control,
- Fundamental character rigging using pegs, deformers, and constraints,
- Scene planning and layout,
- Principles of animation and how they apply to motion and performance,
- Story planning, pacing, motion timing, and rendering,
- Colour palette creation.