Image by Julianna Cox
This studio course focuses on a design-based approach to developing character art. Character design involves a combination of form, function, and personality. Using traditional media, this course will explore brainstorming and design techniques used in character development for comics, graphic novels, video game design, animation, and advertising. Group work and critiques will be a large part of the classes. Projects will provide students with the methods needed to pursue their own character-based art goals, as well as demonstrate their skills in character art development. Students are responsible for purchasing their own supplies.
Upon the successful completion of this course, students will have:
- Hands-on implementation of the process of designing a character, from brainstorming thumbnails to a final, polished Character Sheet
- Experience in working in a professional workflow, creating material than can be edited, duplicated and shared with a team.
- An understanding of design for function, and of their own strengths as designers.
- Explore different aspects that make up a Character, both through personality and physicality
After enrolling in a course, please allow up to 5 hours for your student data to migrate to Canvas. Please note that courses may fill up early or be cancelled due to low enrollment. Students are encouraged to register early, at least ten (10) days prior to the start date of the course.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Art and Design Studio Skills : Qualifying Courses