This course is geared for artists, designers, illustrators, and animators who wish to sharpen or refresh their hand drawing skills. Building on students' knowledge of basic drawing elements, such as line, shape, value, and composition, this course expands the student's observational and technical skills to create accurate drawings of architecture, nature, and the human form. Please note this course includes drawing the human figure from a live nude model.
All Continuing Studies students in classes with a life model must observe the Etiquette Rules for Working with a Life Model.
Upon the successful completion of this course, students will have:
- Explored the expressive potential of line to render two and three-dimensional objects in pictorial space.
- Learned to observe and render light and shadow and to define form through various shading techniques.
- Learned to observe and render the human form, including anatomy, figure structure and basic proportions.
- Demonstrated an understanding of various drawing processes and their applications by representing a range of subject matter (objects, environments and the human figure) using observation, interpretation and inventive processes.
- Demonstrated an understanding of formal elements and compositional concerns basic to drawing by employing formal issues of line, shape, value, texture and space.
After enrolling in a course, please allow up to 5 hours for your student data to migrate to Canvas. Please note that courses may fill up early or be cancelled due to low enrollment. Students are encouraged to register early, at least ten (10) days prior to the start date of the course.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Art and Design Studio Skills Certificate : Qualifying Courses