Image by Carolyn Guertin
This intermediate studio course builds on the foundational knowledge of effective user interface and user experience design, gained in the Introduction to UI and UX course. Topics include persuasive UX and the ethics of design, sustainable behaviour, user engagement, storytelling for UXD, and gamification. Students will conduct user testing, create wireframes and build mock-ups to test the UX of their designs.
Upon the successful completion of this course, students will have:
- Refined an appreciation for the theory and sensibilities of User Experience Design on digital devices
- Refined skills in the use and application of a variety of cognitive design methods, specifically applicable to user experience design
- Improved individual and collaborative skills in design-based problem solving
- Gained intermediate proficiency in the skills and techniques used in UX Design, UX Strategy, Interaction Design, and user-centred interfaces (UI)
- Be able to apply motivation, empathy, cognitive economics, gamification principles, storytelling, user engagement, and understand the ethical implications of all of the above as means of designing and evaluating user experience and developing a human-centred interface (UI)
- Used and adapted key design standards, guidelines, and tools focusing on user experience
- Created a small project in stages using a creative design brief, scenarios, a journey map, and a prototypes, by the end of the course that applies some of the cognitive behavioural principles discussed in class.
After enrolling in a course, please allow up to 5 hours for your student data to migrate to Canvas. Please note that courses may fill up early or be cancelled due to low enrollment. Students are encouraged to register early, at least ten (10) days prior to the start date of the course.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Digital Media Skills Certificate : Qualifying Courses
- User Experience (UX) Design and Development Skills Certificate : Qualifying Courses
- User Experience (UX) Design Foundations Micro-Credential : Qualifying Courses