This design studio course is an introduction to the potential and expressive qualities of contemporary typography. Topics include the anatomy of the letterform, distinctions between typefaces, and shaping the page with type. Students will be introduced to contemporary graphic designers and their impact on visual communication and the written language. Students should be prepared to create work in either Adobe InDesign or Adobe Illustrator.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Evaluate the differences between letterforms to enable them to choose suitable typefaces for a variety of graphic design solutions
- Classify type in order to compare the differences between typefaces.
- Demonstrate an ability to recognize and pair typefaces
- Demonstrate an ability to design 2-dimensional work and type forms
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Art and Design Studio Skills Certificate : Qualifying Courses
- Digital Media Skills Certificate : Qualifying Courses
- Graphic Design and Visual Communication Skills Certificate : Qualifying Courses
- Typography Foundations Micro-Credential : Qualifying Courses