This course explores the entrepreneurial aspects of building a professional career in visual art. Through guest lectures, workshops, discussions, and field trips students should gain an understanding of the visual art community in Toronto including commercial galleries, artist-run-centres, museums, and other public institutions. Topics include: writing proposals for grants, residencies, and exhibitions; documenting, presenting, and marketing work; legal and taxation issues; acquiring studio space and equipment; networking and collaboration.
Upon the successful completion of this course, students will:
- Develop an understanding of the various components that lead to a professional career in visual art
- Have been exposed to the different professional opportunities and how to engage them
- Have developed a better understanding of how to document, present and market their work
- Have developed a better understanding of how to write about your work
- Have been exposed to practical elements that lead to a sustainable art practice
Please note that courses may fill up early or be cancelled due to low enrollment. Students are encouraged to register early, at least ten (10) days prior to the start date of the course.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Business Skills for Creative Professionals : Qualifying Courses