Image by Surendra Lawoti
This studio course investigates conceptual and formal approaches to documentary photography. Topics include concept development, shooting methodology, the editing process, and ethical issues of cultural and the social representation. Students will focus on one project and create high quality images (print or digital) within the context of a documentary narrative. Studio work will be supported by technical demonstrations, presentations about historical and contemporary documentary photography, and group critiques. Students are responsible for the cost of printing.
Students must have access to and working knowledge of a digital SLR or mirrorless camera.
Upon the successful completion of this course, students will have:
- Developed a methodology for production of a well-rounded documentary photography project.
- A portfolio consisting of exhibition quality images of a self-directed documentary project.
- Familiarity with the historical and contemporary practices of documentary photography.
CSAP-N121 Introduction to Digital Photography, or equivalent experience.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Art and Design Studio Skills Certificate : Qualifying Courses
- Critical Theory and Social Impact in Art & Design Certificate : Qualifying Courses
- Photography Foundations Micro-Credential : Elective Courses
- Photography, Video, and Animation Studio Skills Certificate : Qualifying Courses