This micro-credential will provide students with the essential skills required to produce high-quality photographs using a digital SLR camera. Students will learn how to edit and modify their images using Adobe Photoshop. Organizing and exporting photographs to print and various online platforms will also be explored. Building on the technical skills acquired in the Introduction to Digital Photography course, students choose an additional course from a range of subject areas to expand their fundamental knowledge of contemporary photography.
This stackable micro-credential can be applied towards the Photography, Video, and Animation Studio Skills Certificate as three qualifying courses.
Upon the successful completion of this micro-credential, students will have gained:
- An in-depth understanding of digital camera functions
- A basic understanding of photographic composition theory
- An understanding of the editing and image modification capabilities in Adobe Photoshop
- The ability to organize, edit, and export photographs for print and different online platforms
- An understanding of conceptual and formal approaches to contemporary photography
- Students must maintain a minimum of 80% class attendance per course
- Instructors assess the student’s work and issue a pass or fail grade (student must receive a passing grade to qualify for the micro-credential)
- Students must complete the one required course and two elective courses within two years
- Students must submit the online micro-credential request form along with the administrative fee to obtain the micro-credential and digital badge
Earning Your Micro-credential Badge
As part of the modules in each micro-credential, you will complete assignments and exercises outlined in each micro-credential. These build towards the required evidence for each micro-credential that is submitted at the end of the micro-credential modules.
Successfully demonstrated application the key outcomes as part of the required evidencing will be recognized with a digital badge for the specific micro-credential. A link to the badge will be sent via email that can be added to resumes and posted on social media platforms.
What is a micro-credential?
Micro-credential is a new model that uses short, focused credentials to verify mastery of a skill or competency, and is designed to target high-demand skills, leading to faster hiring.
The process offers a digital credential, which is the official certification of the acquisition of an individual’s skills or capabilities. It is awarded in a digital form, which is verified, secure and shareable with peers, employers and educational providers.
Why micro-credentials now?
Micro-credentials can be used to recognize both vertical and transversal skills. Coupled with the in-depth learning obtained in a field of study, micro-credentials can be used to present a more holistic view of an individual’s abilities and achievements.
In today’s fast-changing workforce and emerging gig economy, a nimble recognition system is essential for both professionals and employers, who are increasingly moving towards skill or competency-based hiring.
To learn more about micro-credentials, please visit the eCampusOntario website.