This micro-credential provides students with the essential skills required to create compelling user experiences for desktop, tablet, and mobile users. Students will learn to plan, and design effective user interfaces based on aesthetic, psychological, scientific, and technological considerations. Topics include user-centred design, identifying requirements, information architecture, persuasive UX and the ethics of design, sustainable behaviour, user engagement, storytelling for UXD, and gamification. Students will build mock-ups and create wireframes to test the user experience. This stackable micro-credential can be applied towards the Continuing Studies Certificate in User Experience (UX) Design and Development Skills as two (2) qualifying courses.
Upon the successful completion of this micro-credential, students will have gained the skills to:
- Gained an intermediate proficiency of the UI/UX design process, roles, and skillsets
- Learned methods to understand users’ needs and business requirements
- Gained insight into UI/UX design best practices and applied these principles to an application design
- Learned how to evaluate the usability of test designs
- A refined appreciation for the theory and sensibilities of user experience (UX) design on digital devices
- Improved individual and collaborative skills in design-based problem solving
- The ability to apply motivation, empathy, cognitive economics, gamification principles, storytelling, user engagement, and to understand the ethical implications of all of the above as means of designing and evaluating user experience (UX) and developing a human-centred interface (UI)
- Created a small project in stages that applies some of the cognitive behavioural principles discussed in class, using a creative design brief, scenarios, a journey map, and a prototype
- Students must complete the two (2) qualifying courses within one (1) year
- Students must submit the online micro-credential request form along with the administrative fee to obtain the micro-credential and digital badge
Earning Your Micro-credential Badge
As part of the modules in each micro-credential, you will complete assignments and exercises outlined in each micro-credential. These build towards the required evidence for each micro-credential that is submitted at the end of the micro-credential modules.
Successfully demonstrated application the key outcomes as part of the required evidencing will be recognized with a digital badge for the specific micro-credential. A link to the badge will be sent via email that can be added to resumes and posted on social media platforms.
What is a micro-credential?
Micro-credential is a new model that uses short, focused credentials to verify mastery of a skill or competency, and is designed to target high-demand skills, leading to faster hiring.
The process offers a digital credential, which is the official certification of the acquisition of an individual’s skills or capabilities. It is awarded in a digital form, which is verified, secure and shareable with peers, employers and educational providers.
Why micro-credentials now?
Micro-credentials can be used to recognize both vertical and transversal skills. Coupled with the in-depth learning obtained in a field of study, micro-credentials can be used to present a more holistic view of an individual’s abilities and achievements.
In today’s fast-changing workforce and emerging gig economy, a nimble recognition system is essential for both professionals and employers, who are increasingly moving towards skill or competency-based hiring.
To learn more about micro-credentials, please visit the eCampusOntario website.