This is a course for designers and artists who wish to gain an understanding of intellectual property (IP) law and learn how to protect copyright, trademark, patent, and domain rights. By examining case studies, students will develop their own licensing program. Topics include licensing agreements, deal negotiations, royalty calculations, and brand licensing sales tools. Students will also gain an understanding of what is considered standard practice in the current marketplace for cases where artists and designers may not be able to afford legal protection for their IP. This course will explore IP rights in both the Canadian and international context.
Upon the successful completion of this course, students will have:
- Learned about licensing agreements, deal negotiations and how to monetize intellectual property
- Gained an understanding of standard licensing contract provisions and how to avoid pitfalls
- Gained an understanding of what is considered standard practice in the current marketplace for cases where artists and designers may not be able to afford legal protection for their IP
- Learn about remedies for IP infringement
Please note that courses may fill up early or be cancelled due to low enrollment. Students are encouraged to register early, at least ten (10) days prior to the start date of the course.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Business Skills for Creative Professionals : Qualifying Courses